Friday, 25 February 2011

Why I should be concerned

I pay my taxes as a national, I honour my duties to my country,  I sing the national Anthem as a patriotic citizen. I stand when the national flag is hoisted to honour my county.

So I should be concerned when politicians lie and loot. I should be concerned when the politicians have made the system favour only themselves and their cronies. When politicians ride roughshod over the common man on the streets. When politicians think they are wiser than even God.

I should be concerned when bribery is eating away the good things in the society and has helped in putting round pegs into square holes and thereby retarding the development of the country.

I should be concerned when African leaders stash cash away in Swiss Banks away from the prying eyes of tax authorities and the public with a future guarantee for their children and grandchildren.

I should be concerned when Western governments support dictators in some parts of the world and indict others of equal stature.

I should be concerned when African leaders want to be kingpins in their hen-coops instead of shaping a continent wide development agenda. What would Africans pay for a railway lines from Ghana through Nigeria, DR Congo, Angola, Namibia, Bostwana, South Africa, Zambia, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Morroco, Mauritania, Senegal, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cote d'Ivoire and finally back to Ghana. Imagine how such a project would bring Africans closer to Africans, promote intra continent trade, open new barriers and make Africa a dream continent like the US, where it will be easy for people to achieve their dreams.

I should therefore be concerned that our leaders cannot see how important it will be for Africans to unite or integrate, even if not politically, but economically and socially.

What do we see; they attend conferences, issue communiques, resolve to abide by it and then, immediately they leave the conference, they forget easily what they signed.

They have forgotten what Nkrumah stood for and what he wanted Africans to do, they make unification impossible by their egotist sentiments.

I should therefore be concerned.

No comments: